Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Who?? and they play what??




This is a big change from the norm of my critiques. Jazz music! This stuff is different to say the least. This group called the Squirrel Nut Zippers, from Chapel Hill, NC.... close to my hometown in NC. These intstrumentals sound like they could come straight out of black and white movie from way back in the day. One of those movies were people just run around and hit eachother with things and everythings in fast motion. Kind of like the 3 Stooges. The first song was so carnival like and up beat it was a bit humorous. The second song took me in a completely different direction...it started out mellow and slow and then picked up into a similar song as the first..THEN out of nowhere... some demanding VOCALS. These guys sound ancient!! But somewhere, deep down...i found this very intriguing, almost more intriguing than any other group of musicians on this blog. Something told me...listen to the third song, and so I did. I've got to believe these guys have been around or a while, I need to ask all my friends at UNC Chapel Hill if they have ever seen them out doing gigs and what not. As for that third song...I just smiled. IT seemed to come from a Mario Nintendo 64 soundtrack at first. I felt like I was any number of made up video game characters in a mart buying items to set out into my video game adventure. It was odd, I have no idea why I thought this. The vocals in this song were imroved as well, "Good Enough for Granddad", I loved it. Bravo.. These guys are a cool 8.5 out of 10 on my scale...A very good find, and it brightened up my night a little bit.

If its good enough for Granddad, theyre good enough for me.
Interesting quote from their songs.

http://www.myspace.com/snzippers

No comments: